Skip to main content

Tales from the Hood: Neighbour Reveals Dark Secret

I was woken up to the sound of a man screaming ndefwaya ifipe fyandi, mpela ifipe fyandi (I want my things give me my things). It took about a minute for me to realize I was certainly not dreaming and that indeed it was in real life that I was hearing two people arguing or fighting. I reached out for my cell phone looked at the time it was 00:05.

I reached across the other bed and shook my sister who was already awake being a light sleeper. Flo, Flo have you heard the noise out there?  “Iwe niba Dizo naba kazi bao” she retorted sounding irritated. I tiptoed to the window which was on her said of the bed and surreptitiously opened the curtain to peep outside. There I saw my neighbours husband and wife just as my sister had said. They continued shouting ndefwaya ifipe fyandi and I closed the curtain and whispered to my sister who seemed disinterested in the whole fiasco. Nanga ni fipe bwanji vamene bafuna ba dizo? To which Flo snapped at me saying go and ask him.

The husband continued to say ndefwaya ifipe fyandi to which the wife said naine ndefwaya dinner set yandi (I also want my dinner set). Dizo then told the wife he was going to beat her up because his fipe (things) bordered on life and death.  As the argument got heated I heard the (Nkugulume’s) bachelors of the hood come out and restain Dizo from beating the wife.

Dizo told them they knew not what they were doing because all he wanted were his fipe. At that point I opened the window and popped my head outside so I could have a full view of what was happening seeing as there were other spectators. As Dizo aggressively followed his wife I implored with one of the nkugulume’s to stop him. The wife narrated how she had bought a dinner set on ‘Pay Slow’ (A type of lay-buy done in the hood where you get the goods and pay slowly for them over an agreed period of time). She complained that she hadn’t even finished paying for it and Dizo took it to one of his girlfriends and that she wanted it back.

When Dizo noticed that everyone seemed sympathetic to his wife, he got angry and insisted she give him his fipe. Everyone seemed to wonder what that maybe when he said to his wife, “Ba Shazie tamule fwaya ukumpela ifipe fyandi? Kanshi nga ni ifyo twala filila munsenga”. The wife only piqued back that she wanted her dinner set and he would have his things.

What happened next made everyone freeze in their tracks. Dizo took two steps back and got on his high Verandah. He then said “OK mwe ma neighbours bonse nabali mumayanda umfweni, ifwe tunwa ama ARVs” (attention neighbours, even those of you that are in your houses listening, we (dizo and shazie) drink ARVs). Dizo then turned to his wife and said give me my ARVs. Finally we all knew what the Fipe (things) he was demanding were. Clearly shocked, Shazie screamed at Dizo saying you are the one who infected me! Not to be out done, Dizo said “iye ba shazie, nalimitwalako ku clinic mwakwete CD4 count iyalubana elo nomba amatako yafuma mulensamwina”.

In as much as many people have broken the silence on issues of HIV and AIDS, no one had ever done it in such a fashion. The Nkungulume’s all looked down and walked away seeming very uncomfortable on the grounds they stood, I quickly shut the little window I was leaning on and Shazie walked into her house.


The next morning all the hood seemed to have a weird aura. People walked around with an awkward expression and even saying hello to shazie seemed like a chore to many. In the end shazie and dizo divorced and to the amusement of many he moved it and married Rose the neighbor who used to be Shazie’s best friend.

Comments

ba shazi batwele kwisa ifipe fyabanabo….

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from the Hood: Menses on display

The Hood will definitely be the end of me mwe! So I was in the hood trying to locate Bana K when I saw some commotion across the road. In true hood style I saw a steady crowd growing as everyone shameless rushed to Bana Yuz house. You may recall a few blogs ago I shared a story of the couple who lost their daughter and in grief the Husband threatened one of his in-laws saying he was going to report them to the dead child so that the child’s ghost could haunt him for disturbing him. Anyways that’s the couple that was responsible for drawing the fast growing crowd. This  couple is one that is well known for stirring drama. Bashi Yu,  as he is fondly called is the hero of the women's gossip club where his wife is a member. He usually buy Chat beer for them to drink as they gossip but he usually snaps at the slightest irritation. Whenever this happens he takes it to the streets where he does a dress down of these women. Today it appeared the person that made him loose h

Of TRADITIONS AND RITES OF PASSAGE

By Susan Mwape  So I had the opportunity of going to what we call in my part of the world a “Chezela”. This is simply a word derived from the term ku cheza which means to chat so chezela means an endless chat that occurs over night into the wee hours of the morning. In Zambia where I come from the moment you hear people saying am going to a chezela, it is synonymous with a series of events that occur overnight by and among women initiating a young lady in a rite of passage. Often this lady would be in the process of getting married and after undergoing a series of counseling sessions, ranging from wellbeing, healthcare, motherhood and home management by a team of women led by one called Bana Chimbusa. The Chezela is the epitome of all that she learns but brings in a diverse group of women of different ethnic groups who each share what they know with the bride to be. It is usually a joyful celebration that marks the end of her initiation into married life. It is charact

Pastor gets publicly humiliated

Tales from the Hood I remember attending a burial at Chingwere and y'all know that attending a burial at that cemetery is enough to make you cry when you look at the state of affairs, anyway i digress. So tenze kumalilo yaba neighbour and for some reason there was no church service yet she went to church every Sunday. Oh i remember she hadnt remitted sufficient funds for the church book offering anyway her family could not afford to pay the arrears hence the church would not accept her as a member worthy of a funeral church service. Fast Foward, at the cemetery one of the relatives came with a Charismatic Pastor form a church that was not mentioned who preached the word in such convincing tones. The message was just right and from the looks of things every one was somehow touched as even the most hyper hoodlums quietened down and paid attention to the sermon. As we were all getting carried away with the sermon and entering the second heaven in spirit the pastor